When President Reagan said “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall,” he set the bar high for future American leaders when it comes to bold foreign policy endeavors. He never shrank from a challenge, never wavered in his convictions, never ran from a threat. Respected and sometimes feared, Reagan was one of a kind. Or was he?
Surprisingly, we now have a president who might achieve even more.
Last week President Donald Trump announced that the United Arab Emirates and Israel had signed an agreement to normalize relations between the former adversaries. While the Democrats and their lap-dog media put all their energy into preventing Trump’s re-election, his administration was quietly brokering a deal that may result in a Middle-East peace that has eluded his predecessors.
Many more Arab nations are expected to follow suit, opening communications, travel, shared security, religious pilgrimages and commerce throughout the region. The gains are multilateral, not just favoring Israel.
President Trump, with no political education or experience, is racking up foreign policy wins.
- Trump is bringing American soldiers home after decades of pointless wars, much to the chagrin of neo-cons.
- NATO members now pay more for their own military protection after being called out by the American president, reducing the financial burden for US taxpayers while improving defensive readiness.
- His opposition to China’s bullying of other nations is picking up global support, highlighted by his throttling of Huawei’s 5G security threat. China knows that Trump will lead a newly-aroused world coalition against any imperial moves on Hong Kong, Tibet, or Taiwan, and will not flinch in trade negotiations.
- Trump’s “America First” border and immigration policies find strong favor among US citizens, even while he offers protections for DACA.
- Trump’s support for Brexit threw a monkey wrench into the EU’s sovereignty-eating machine.
- The world-wide pandemic, whether real or contrived by his political enemies, appears to be only a bump in Trump’s economic road, with astronomical third-quarter growth predicted.
- Our president has shown that he is more than a match for the ambitious and clever Russian president, having hit every Putin curve ball thus far into the bleachers.
There is actually one more cherry on the foreign-policy tree that is now seemingly within Trump’s reach. It is no longer unthinkable that the Korean peninsula could be reunited, eliminating regional instability and nuclear threat.
President Trump’s critics never offer a rationale for their Derangement Syndrome other than dislike for his personality. As for me, I’m not tired of winning yet!
Tom Balek – Rockin’ On the Right Side
I’m winning, I’m winning
I’m winning, I’m winning
And I don’t intend losing again
Winning – Santana